If this is Kitchen 101 to you, then please just pass on this post. I’ve actually had a few comments on the onions I served on a slider, so I thought I’d write up a post on How To Caramelize Onions.
My best advice comes in one word……………
VERY VERY SLOWLY!
It takes at least an hour to get a big pan of onions to caramelize. And you really can’t hurry along the process. If you turn up the heat, you end up by browning them, which is not what you want. You want the sugars to slowly caramelize, making the onions sweet and almost buttery.
- 6-8 medium yellow onions sliced thinly
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Melt butter and olive oil in large skillet over med heat.
- Place onions into skillet.
- Add salt & pepper and stir well.
- Cook onions over med/low heat, stirring often, for at least one hour.
- **Do not rush the cooking process, you want the onions to cook slowly until they are golden, sweet, and caramelized.
**If you like this recipe, please feel free to share onto your Facebook page, Pinterest, and don’t forget to hit the YUM button!