I’ve been wanting to try a brown butter cookie for a while now, and as I was browsing Pinterest one evening, a brown butter chocolate chip cookie caught my eye. I googled a few recipes and adapted one that sounded the yummiest.I wasn’t sure if browning the butter was going to make much of a difference in the cookies, but it did. The butter became rich and almost caramely nutty in flavor. Try it and as your butter slowly starts to brown, you’ll understand exactly what caramely nutty is. It’s a bit of a long process, since you need to brown the butter, then refrigerate to bring it back to solid, then soften slightly to cream with the sugars, but it’s definitely worth the time.
I always use a silpat on my baking sheet and always use a cookie scoop to ensure cookies that are even in size. They baked up perfectly!
These Brown Butter Salted Triple Chip Cookies, were definitely worth the time they took to make. They were sweet, with just a hint of salt, soft, and chewy! I could have made these with just one type of chocolate chip, but I figured what the heck, if I’m going to spend a little more time making a chocolate chip cookie, I might as well bring it over the top. And I did!!
And, what goes better with warm cookies than a big tall cold glass of milk?
Please use the little “share” icons below to share these delicious cookies with a friend!!
Brown Butter Salted Triple Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 cup lt. brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 2 TBSP milk not non-fat
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- To brown the butter:
- Cut butter into pieces. Place into frying pan and melt over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once it melts, it will begin to foam and separate (browned bits on the bottom, slightly browned butter at the top. This process should take 5-7 minutes. Do not overcook and burn the butter. Yuck!
- After the butter has browned pour it into a bowl (leave the real dark bits in the pan) and place in refrigerator to return to solid.
- Cookie instructions:
- Remove butter from refrigerator and let soften a bit.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, yolk, and vanilla, scraping sides as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Slow add dry mixture to creamed butter/sugars a little at a time until just mixed together, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Add chocolate chips and either hand stir or using mixer on low, mix until just mixed in.
- Scoop cookie dough onto silpat lined baking sheet and place in freezer for aprox 10-15 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350* oven for 9-10 minutes or until just light golden brown.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt (or sea salt) as soon as they come out of oven.
- Cool on rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
- Repeat, baking one sheet at a time till all dough is baked.
This recipe was Pinterest inspired and adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction. Make sure and check out her blog for lots of yummy treats!