As I was chicken recipe browsing the other day, I found a recipe for Chicken Shawarma that looked so good. Whenever I find a new recipe or get an idea of something that I might like to make, I spend a few minutes googling recipes and looking on Pinterest. I look at ingredients, cooking style, etc. And then, more often than not, I pull ideas from multiple recipes and improvising as I go along, I create my own version. That is exactly what I did when I decided to make this Baked Chicken (Shawarma Style) and oh man, did it turn out tasty. So tasty in fact, that I made it twice in two weeks.
I’ve already decided that the next time my vegetarian daughter is home, that I’m going to make a cauliflower version of this recipe. It sounds equally as delicious as the chicken!
And, without the Garlic Tahini Sauce, the Shawarma Baked Chicken is W30 compliant!!
**Disclaimer, if you’re following any of my recipes that I note as Whole 30 compliant, please check your ingredient labels first as they can vary.
- 4 skin on, bone in, chicken breasts
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 large lemons (use juice from 2 for marinade, 1 wedged for serving)
- 1 large yellow onion (sliced)
- Optional: fresh chopped parsley for serving
- Garlic Tahini Sauce:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 TBSP tahini
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 3-4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- In large zip lock baggie (or bowl), combine together: olive oil, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and pepper flakes.
- Place chicken breasts into marinade and place in 'fridge, marinade for at least an hour (preferably longer).
- Peel and slice onions and place into large oven proof baking dish. Place chicken on top of onion slices. Pour any remaining marinade into baking dish. If needed add a drizzle of olive oil to make sure onions are well coated (so they don't burn).
- Place baking dish into preheated 425* oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, depending on size of chicken breast. Chicken should be well browned.
- For Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour. If sauce seems a little thick, add a little more lemon juice.
- Serve chicken with roasted onions and a big spoonful of the Garlic Tahini Sauce. *Optional: top with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.