My daughter, you know the one, the one who challenged me to Whole 30, recommended I make this Sweet Potato Soup. I’m sure glad I listened to her, it was delicious! It’s W30 approved, but I know I’ll be making this again soon, even when I’m not participating in W30. You’ve got to love a soup that has just a few ingredients and cooks start to finish in about thirty minutes. I was only missing one ingredient that I had to add to my shopping list. Fresh ginger. I knew I could substitute ground ginger, but there is just something about the taste of fresh ginger. I’ll freeze the rest of the ginger root for another time.
As you can tell by the color of the soup, I used the light (or white) sweet potatoes. I prefer them to the dark orange sweet potatoes, so if they’re available, I always go white. Looking at this white bowl of soup, in hindsight, the orange potatoes sure would have made for a prettier photo. Oh well, the flavor was there! A topping of fresh cilantro or parsley is optional, but I had to add a bit of color 🙂
Coconut Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 TBSP coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 med/lg sweet potatoes I used the white ones Peeled and small chopped.
- 2 TBSP fresh ginger grated on zester
- 1 can 15oz coconut milk (not light or low fat, you'll want the full fat for this)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a dutch oven (or heavy large pot), heat oil over med heat. Add onions and saute until just translucent.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes and add to onion. Stir.
- Add ginger, cinnamon. Stir.
- Add in water and coconut milk and continue to cook over med heat until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a food processor, in batches, puree the potato mixture until smooth. Or, if you prefer, use an immersion blender.
- Add pureed soup back to pot and continue to cook for approx. 15 minutes or until desired thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot. Top with a dash of cinnamon.
Recipe from the Whole 30 Cookbook.