I know that not everyone is a fan of meatloaf. Honestly, I don’t quite understand that, because, meatloaf, made right, is really quite good!My husband was never a fan of meatloaf, but I’ve changed his mind. I think growing up, and I hate to say this, but maybe his mom’s meatloaf just wasn’t very good. If I remember correctly, she baked hers in a loaf pan. I’m sorry, but no. Just no! It needs to formed into a loaf and baked in a larger rectangular baking dish. That way, the extra fat from the meat will run out of the meatloaf, leaving it still moist, but not overloaded with fat, and the top (and sides) will get a nice crispy golden brown crust.
I decided to up the anty a little on this one and top it with bacon and BBQ sauce. Oh my gosh, the salty of the bacon with the caramelized sweet sauce was delicious! Two of our grandkids were with us for dinner and they both enjoyed it. Mr B, even asked for it the next day for lunch. After I made his sister’s “snack plate” for lunch, he say’s, “Nana, can I just have some of that meat from dinner last night and some grapes.” Well, YES, you can!
This recipe makes a fairly large meatloaf, but leftover meatloaf makes great sandwiches!!
We enjoyed our meatloaf with a side of Cauliflower Mash and by request from the kiddos, both peas and corn.
BBQ Bacon Meatloaf
- 1 # ground beef
- 1 # ground pork
- 1 # ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/2-1 cup BBQ sauce I used Bulls Eye, but use your favorite or homemade
- 6-8 slices thick cut bacon
- In a large bowl, gently mix together first 12 ingredients (everything except for bacon and BBQ sauce). Feel free to mix with a large spoon, but I take off my rings, wash my hands, and mix by hand.
- Once combined, form meat mixture into a loaf and place in oven proof rectangle pan.
- Lay bacon pieces across top of loaf.
- Liberally spread top with BBQ sauce. About half way through baking add more sauce to top of meatloaf.
- Bake (uncovered) at 350* for approx 60-75 minutes. Adjust cooking time according to thickness of meatloaf.
This looks amazing! I adore meatloaf and Who doesn’t like bacon! Thanks for sharing 🙂
hello there, it looks so good i want to try it. what does 1# ground beef mean. the hash sign? how much is that of meat?
wow! This looks absultely scrumptious! I just feel like picking up my fork and dig in 🙂
Wow, this looks so very tasty! My kids have always been with your husband, however, I think this is the one recipe to get them to love meatloaf. This is a really nice recipe and I love cauliflower mash as well. I’m hungry now!
Molly Kumar says
This look super delicious. I always used to think, it must be very difficult to wrap bacon and make a recipe, but you actually did it so easily. Love this!
[email protected] says
This looks so good! I love meatloaf, but why, oh why did I never think to wrap it in bacon?!? Yum.