When I first started as a food blogger, I thought my most popular posts were going to be anything “low fat” and “healthy.” It’s not that those aren’t popular, but my most popular recipes have been easy to prepare comfort food. This Chicken Alfredo Bake is exactly that! It’s simple to prepare, making it the perfect meal for busy families.
You’re probably thinking that “alfredo” sauce is too heavy and creamy, and typically it is. But this is a lightened up version, made with chicken broth and non or low-fat milk. No heavy cream is allowed in this recipe. I know, I know, there is added cheese, but at least it’s not cheese and heavy cream. Guaranteed you aren’t going to miss the full fat version in this tasty Chicken Alfredo Bake.
I just love cooking in my cast iron skillet, there’s just something so comforting and rustic about cooking and serving from the same pan. And, with the exception of cooking the pasta in a separate pot, this was a one pan meal. You’ve got to love that! Above is right before going into the oven, below is straight out of the oven and steamy hot! You see the little crispy edges below, those were my favorite bites!
The crispy bacon and salty parmesan made the perfect topping for this “comfort food” meal. A little side salad and some toasty garlic bread and dinner is served!
I’m excited to be participating at MEAL PLAN MONDAY! Make sure and check them out weekly for lots of delicious meal inspiration!!
Chicken Alfredo Bake
- 12 oz 3/4# Barilla Ziti Pasta (cooked according to package directions)
- 3 cups cooked chicken cubed or shredded. **I used rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup grated jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Alfredo recipe:
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic crushed
- 3 TBSP flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups non or low-fat milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Cook pasta "al-dente" according to package directions. Drain and set aside. (try to time so pasta is finished when sauce is finished).
- Cube or shred chicken and set aside.
- Prepare Alfredo Sauce:
- In large cast iron skillet (or any oven proof skillet), over med/high heat cook bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside. If needed drain excess grease from pan (a little is ok).
- Reduce heat to medium, add olive oil and chopped onion, cooking 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until onion is translucent and tender.
- Add flour to pan, stir to combine with onion mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
- Add in milk and again whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking regularly until sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Gently add in cooked pasta and cubed chicken, lightly stirring to combine. Top with grated jack cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and bacon crumbles.
- Cook in preheated 375* oven for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly hot, golden, and the edges just begin to crisp.
You might also enjoy:
This recipe has been adapted from Gimme Some Oven’s Chicken Alfredo Baked Ziti. Make sure and check out her site, it’s full of delicious recipes!