Left over Cast Iron Steak and left over Homemade Refried Beans can only mean one thing………..BURRITOS!! Beef and Bean Baked Burritos to be exact!!
I really have no idea how I ended up with an entire extra steak, but I did. I guess I was starving at the grocery store when I bought two huge steaks for just the two of us. They were delicious! Boneless Rib Eyes, seasoned and cooked in cast iron. You couldn’t have asked for a better steak. I knew the leftovers using such a good steak needed to be equally as good. Any ole burrito was not going to suffice, I needed deliciousness wrapped up in a flour tortilla. These burritos lived up to my expectations!
They were filled with Homemade Refried Beans, steak that simmered with onions, garlic, and bell pepper in a mild red taco sauce, and lots of cheddar and jack cheese. Then they were lightly brushed with just a bit of butter, topped with a little more cheese, and baked. We enjoyed these tasty little burritos with some fresh pico de gallo, cilantro, avocado, sour cream, and of course a little more taco sauce.
It might sound kind of silly, but can’t you just see and imagine all that flavor wrapped up??
Beef and Bean Baked Burritos
- 1 large leftover cooked steak or roast beef, cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups mild red taco sauce
- Refried Beans see link in post for homemade, or use 1 can
- 2 cups grated cheese cheddar and/or jack
- 2 TBSP butter
- Flour tortillas
- Optional for serving: chopped cilantro pico de gallo or your favorite salsa, sour cream, avocado
- Chop and dice onion and bell pepper. Crush garlic. Cut meat into small bite size pieces.
- In large skillet, heat 2 TBSP of olive oil over med heat. Saute together the onion and bell pepper until just tender. Add garlic.
- Add meat, chili powder, cumin, and taco sauce into sauté pan with veggies.
- Heat over med/low heat until heated through.
- Heat refried beans in separate pan until just warm.
- To assemble burritos:
- Take a flour tortilla and spread some refried beans down the center. Add cheese and a large spoonful of beef mixture on top of beans. Wrap into a burrito and place in baking dish. Continue until you've made as many burritos as you need. Lightly brush the top with melted butter and top with grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350* oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Optional: Serve with sour cream, chopped cilantro, fresh pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, and avocado.
You might also enjoy:
Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories says
I am totally craving one of these now Renee! Perfect for your homemade beans.
Megan Marlowe says
Renee, these burritos look SO good! I’d like to have some right now!
Delicious! These look like they’d hit the spot.
Sara | Belly Rumbles says
They look so satisfying, would buy extra steak just for those babies!
Stellar Recipe! I love eating like this and so does my hubby!
Kristen Chidsey says
Renee–these burritos look great. My family would devour them!