This Sweet Potato Chili is the perfect crockpot meal! It is so simple to make and extremely flavorful, but not too spicy (which is great because even the kids will like it). It’s quick to get everything prepped and into the crockpot.
I had a busy day of gardening planned the day I made this and it was perfect coming back into the house with dinner almost ready. All I had to do was prep the toppings, make the cornbread, a quick salad, and dinner was on the table.
This is another very versatile recipe. I made this batch vegetarian, but you could easily add some ground turkey or hamburger to it. Honestly though, it is so filling with the sweet potatoes and beans that you don’t need and won’t miss the meat. I tend to host largish groups a couple of times a year (such as Halloween) and chili is the perfect meal to serve. It’s make ahead and delicious. I always make a crock pot with this Sweet Potato Chili and another with Chili w/meat. Both are equally loved!
Within a few minutes you have your sweet potatoes and onions chopped, the spices measured, and the beans and tomatoes ready for the crockpot. Dump all ingredients into the crock pot, mix it all together, and set it and forget it. The recipes says 10 hours on low, I did 8 hours on high.
Listen up, if you’re a fan of sweet potatoes, you need to head on over and grab this Fall Fiesta Sweet Potato Soup recipe from The Fed Up Foodie!!
Pin this recipe so you can easily find it for your next chili party!
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes** peeled and cut into 1" cubes **I use the light colored sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic crushed
- 1- 15 oz can kidney beans drained & lightly rinsed
- 1- 15 oz can black beans drained & lightly rinsed
- Optional: add 1 lb. browned ground beef or ground turkey
- Toppings: seeded & topped fresh tomatoes chopped cilantro, diced red onion, grated cheddar cheese, Fritos corn chips, cubed avocado, sour cream.
- Place all "chili" ingredients (canned tomatoes –>canned beans) into slow cooker.
- Add cooked ground meat if desired.
- Stir until everything is well combined.
- Cook on low for 10 hours (approx. 8 hours on high). *It takes quite a while for the sweet potatoes to fully cook and become soft.
- Serve with toppings!
Other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!