Do you have a favorite season? I’ve always been a warm weather summertime gal, but over the last few years fall has become my favorite!! The weather is still gorgeous but cool in the evening, it’s dark earlier, we’re starting to build fires, and the house is filled with the scent of fall spiced candles. And . . . . the way I cook begins to change. Less bbq’s and more soups, stews, and chilies! Don’t get me wrong, I love our summertime meals, but there is something about having a big pot of soup simmering on the stovetop or chili, like this Turkey Chili with White Beans cooking in the slow cooker.
I love how easy chili is to make. And if you use your slow cooker, it’s a set it and forget it (after you brown the meat). I’ve learned over the years, not to make large pots of chili too spicy. We love the spice, but if you want it family friendly and want the kids to also enjoy it, keep it a little milder. You can always add a little Tabasco or Sriracha to top yours off. And talking about topping it off, how do you enjoy your bowl of chili?
Do you like it plain? Just the chili?
Or maybe just topped with some cheese? This is always the little ones favorite way to eat chili.
Or, are you like me? I love all the toppings!! Cheese, chopped red onion, cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, and of course some Frito’s Corn Chips! And, not pictured is a side of corn bread (with lots of butter and honey please). I switch up between making my homemade Cornbread (which should really be called corncake, its that sweet and delicious) or using Marie Calendar’s Cornbread Mix (I love it).
I highly recommend getting a big pot of chili cooking and inviting over some friends and family over for a casual evening of food, fun, and fellowship. Or how about making it up for your next football gathering? I know for a fact that I’ll have two large slow cookers going on Halloween. This Turkey Chili with White Beans and also my vegetarian Sweet Potato Chili. It’s a great option for vegetarians and also one of my favorite chili recipes.
Turkey Chili with White Beans
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 med. yellow onions diced
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 #'s lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1-8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3-15 oz cans small white beans rinsed & drained
- Optional toppings:
- chopped red onion
- chopped cilantro
- corn chips
- diced avocado
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- sour cream
- Heat oil in large skillet over med heat. Add onions and sauté onions until tender.
- Add oregano and cumin, cook for 1 minute.
- Increase heat to med high and add ground turkey. Stir, breaking up turkey as it cooks, until no longer pink and just starting to brown.
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Transfer turkey mixture to large slow cooker.
- Add stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, chili powder, cinnamon, cocoa pwd, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add drain & rinsed white beans, stir.
- Cook at high for aprox 4 hours, med or low for 6 hours. You can;' hardly go wrong with a slow cooker.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Linda @ Food Huntress says
I’ve never put cocoa powder or cinnamon in my chili but I’ll have to try it! Looks delicious especially with all the toppings!
Cassandrea @ chewsandbrews.ca says
Awesome! My husband’s family chili recipe has cinnamon in it and it really tastes amazing!
Darlene @ Dip Recipe Creations says
This looks yummy! My husband puts cinnamon in his chili and it always throws people off when he tells them. It tastes amazing though.
Whitney @ That Square Plate says
Love the pictures of this dish! Beautiful 🙂
Mary M. Martinez says
This was a great idea! Thanks for sharing.