Chicken Tortilla Soup is a long time favorite in our house. So long in fact, that I have no idea where I got this recipe. All I know is that it’s delicious, simple to make, and everyone loves it!
While I know the soup is good by itself, I do believe it’s the toppings that really make it!! How can you not enjoy a bowl of hot flavorful chicken soup topped with cheese, avocado, cilantro, red onion, sour cream, and home fried corn tortilla strips??
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Sopa de Tortilla con Pollo)
- 3 10 oz cans Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes with green chilies (I use 1 original & 2 mild)
- 2 16 oz cans Rosarita No-fat Refried Beans
- 1 can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 48 oz box chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken I used meat from 1 large rotisserie chicken
- Optional toppings:
- shredded cheese
- red onion chopped
- cilantro chopped
- avocado cubed
- sour cream
- tortilla strips I like to fry my own corn tortilla strips, but feel free to use bagged tortilla chips if you prefer
- Combine undrained tomatoes, refried beans, black beans, corn, and chicken broth in large soup pot. Heat over med-high heat, stirring until combined. Bring to a boil then add chicken. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Instructions for fried tortilla strips:
- Heat canola oil in large skillet (I use about 2" of oil) over med heat.
- Thinly slice corn tortillas.
- When oil is hot, carefully place tortilla strips into hot oil. Stir occasionally. When lightly browned and crisp, use tongs and remove from oil. Place on paper towel to drain. Salt immediately.
- **I often make this in the crockpot. Just add all ingredients and cook on med heat for 4-6 hours. You really can't mess it up. Set it to low if you'll be gone all day.