I’ve been on a bit of a soup kick lately and this Fall Harvest Soup has become a delicious and easy go to meal! Serve it with a simple salad and some crusty bread and you’ve got yourself a meal that you’re going to want over and over again this Fall and Winter.
The ingredients are simple to prep and with the exception of the veggies and Italian sausage, you probably have the other items in your pantry.
This Holiday Vegetable Hash from Trader Joe’s was the inspiration for this soup. I realize this is a seasonal item at TJ’s, but the ingredients are simple and you can certainly chop and season the veggies to make your own.
- Butternut Squash
- Sweet Potato
- Red Onion
- and, parsley, sage, and rosemary
You’ll notice the veggies are a pretty small dice, but honesty, it just doesn’t get much easier!
I could have made this in my Instant Pot, but decided to cook this stovetop in my large heavy soup pot. See below the recipe card, for the quick IP version.
- 1 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 18oz container Trader Joe's Fall Holiday Hash (or about ½ cup each butternut squash and sweet potato (small diced), and ¼ cup each small dice of red onion, & celery)
- 1 can (15 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounce) cannellini beans
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½-3/4 cup small pasta (I used ditalini)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 1 TBSP fresh crushed garlic
- To serve, top with grated parmesan cheese
- Add olive oil to large soup pot and heat to medium heat.
- Remove Italian sausage from it's casing and add to heated soup pot. Crumble sausage until golden brown stirring often and crumbling as it cooks.
- Add diced vegetable hash, fresh garlic, salt, pepper & Italiian seasoning.
- Cook, stirring often, until veggies are just tender for approx. 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add chicken broth and canned tomatoes. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse beans and add to soup pot.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until pasta is just tender (length of cooking time will vary depending on type of pasta).
- To serve, top with grated or shaved parmesan cheese.
To cook in an Instant Pot:
•Heat saute mode on high, add olive oil and heat. Add sausage. Cook (crumbling as it cooks) until golden brown.
•Add in veggie hash, fresh garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, Continue to cook until veggies are just starting to soften (3-4 minutes).
•Turn off saute mode and add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, cannelinni beans, and dry pasta.
•Cook on manual pressure for 3 minutes. Quick release and remove lid.
•Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
If you’re a fan of soup, then you might also like these: