I just love that I can pull together a hand full of ingredients and in less than 30 minutes have Pesto Pasta with Sausage ready to serve! It’s perfect for a busy day, when time is limited in the kitchen. Serve with a side salad or roasted veggies and you’ve got a no fuss meal that the whole family will enjoy!
Pesto Pasta with Sausage is made with simple ingredients, but the flavor is big! I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand to make this meal.
- Bowtie pasta
- Your favorite sausage
- Pesto sauce
- Onion and garlic
- Parmesan cheese
I tend to always have a few packages of my favorite sausage and either homemade or store bought pesto in the freezer. And of course, pasta, is a pantry staple. I’ve had to leave the out tomatoes in the past (and it was still yummy), but honestly, cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic, and parmesan are staples in my home.
While the pasta is cooking, you begin by browning the onion, sausage, and garlic.
Once the sausage & onions are cooked, add in the pesto sauce and tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes begin to burst open. Drain the pasta (reserve 1 cup of cooking water). Add the pasta and about half of the reserved cooking water. Mix gently to combine. Add more cooking water if needed. Stir in parmesan cheese.
Top with a little extra parmesan, serve and enjoy!!
Pesto Pasta with Sausage
- 1 pound Bow Tie Pasta
- 12 ounces Sausage (I used Aidells Mango sausage)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion (sliced)
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2-3/4 cup pesto sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2-1 cup "reserved pasta water" (save before draining pasta)
- red pepper flakes *optional
- Slice sausages into 1/4" slices. Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice onion. Set aside.
- Rinse cherry tomatoes. Set aside.
- Cook pasta "al dente" according to pasta directions.
- Add butter and olive oil to large saute pan. Heat, over medium/high heat until butter is melted. Add sliced sausage and cook until lightly brown. Add in sliced onions, reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Drain cooked pasta, reserving one cup of cooking liquid. Do not rinse pasta. Set aside.
- Add pesto sauce and cherry tomatoes to sausage and onions. Cook over medium heat until tomatoes begin to burst. Stir occasionally.
- Add drained pasta, along with reserved pasta water. Start with 1/2 cup of the pasta water and add more as needed. The pasta water, along with the pesto and parmesan cheese turn into a delicious sauce.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and gently stir.
- Plate, top with extra parmesan and some red pepper flakes (optional).
If you love easy family friendly meals, make sure and try these recipes also:
I made this recipe, pesto pasta with sausage, last evening and it was a huge hit. I always have Aidell’s mango sausage in my refrigerator as well as the other ingredients on hand. It was delicious and easy. I highly recommend this recipe for a quick dinner any night of the week!