I’ve had (and made) this Italian Sausage & Pasta Soup recipe for about two years now. It originally came from Sunset magazine (circa 2003), but I was given the recipe by a lady a met in the grocery store. It was evident by her cart that she was planning on making a soup. We got to chatting and she so graciously shared her family’s favorite soup recipe with me. To this day, it is one of my favorites!
It is such a hearty and flavorful soup! It is also very easy to make. It also freezes well, which is a good thing, because it makes a very large pot! **pasta may get a little “mushy” if frozen, but I’ve frozen it plenty of times and it is just as delicious (just not quite so pretty).
Italian Sausage & Pasta Soup
- 2 lbs. hot or mild Italian Sausage
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic (minced
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2- 14 1/2 oz. cans diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans rinsed & drained
- 1 TBSP dried basil
- 2 cups large pasta shells
- 4 quarts approx 12 oz fresh spinach leaves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Parmesan Cheese
- Squeeze sausages from casing and cook over med. high heat until browned. Break apart as you cook.
- Remove meat from pan. Discard all but 1 TBSP fat.
- Add carrots, onion and garlic. Cook until veggies are tender.
- Add broth, cooked sausage, tomatoes, beans, and basil. Bring to a boil.
- Add pasta. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until pasta is tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add spinach. Cook until wilted (1-2 minutes).
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Leave a Reply