Valentine’s Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow) is such a delicious way to celebrate Valentine’s Day! Enjoyed by both adults and kiddos, this is the perfect treat! When was the last time you made a batch of Muddy Buddies? I guess the biggest question about this, isn’t when was the last time you made it, but…. do you call it Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow? There’s something that is un-endearing to me about calling it a pet food, so I’m sticking with Muddy Buddies!
According to chex.com “This classic chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar Chex Mix recipe has been a beloved part of families’ kitchens for years. Transform Chex™ cereal into a delicious treat in just 15 minutes. We call it Muddy Buddies™, but you may know it as Puppy Chow.”
However, according to Wikipedia, “Puppy Chow, also typically known as monkey munch, muddy buddies, muddy munch, reindeer chow, or doggy bag, is the name for a homemade snack made in the United States.”
You decide, but I’m sticking with Muddy Buddies!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can have your Valentine’s Day Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow) ready in no time.
- Chex Cereal
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Valentine’s M&M’s
It’s as easy as gathering your ingredients, melting, and mixing! In fact it’s so easy, it’s a perfect treat to let the little ones help you with.
I’m missing a picture of the step between these two. Coat the Chex cereal with the chocolate/peanut butter mixture, then place in a gallon zip lock baggie. Add the powdered sugar, then gently shake until well combined. After that step, I spread them out on a sheet pan and dusted with a little more powdered sugar as needed and let them set up a bit before adding the M&M’s.
Wouldn’t these be cute little gifts? Simply fill a cute container and wrap in a cellophane bag. Add a little gift tag, and you’re got the perfect Valentine’s Muddy Buddy gift for friends, family, neighbors, or co-workers.
Valentine's Day Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow)
- 1 12 oz box Rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup semisweet choclate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
- 1 cup M&M's
- In small microwaveable glass bowl, melt together peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter. Start with 30 seconds, then stir. Add additional 10-20 seconds as needed until melted. Stir to combine. Mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla to chocolate mixture. Stir.
- Pour cereal into large bowl. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal. Using a plastic spatula, slowly stir to thoroughly coat cereal with chocolate.
- Place chocolate coated cereal into large zip lock baggie (1 gallon size works well). Gently shake until all cereal is well coated with sugar. Once mixed, gently pour onto large baking sheet. If needed dust with additional powdered sugar. Let sit for about 5 minutes to "set" the chocolate.
- Gently stir in M&M's.
You might also like Valentine’s Toffee Bark