When I have helping hands in the kitchen, I need simple to prepare recipes and kiddo friendly flavors. These Sausage & Potato Grill Packets were easy to prepare, quick on the grill, and enjoyed by all. And, the best part, no pans to wash!
It’s not often enough when I have my little helpers in the kitchen. All of my grand babies love to help and I love having them alongside me! I’m down staying in our little “home away from home” condo in Santa Barbara for a few weeks, which happens to be where my oldest daughter and her family live. Lucky me, two grand babies in the same town!!
B & G were eager helpers and loved practicing their knife skills. Gigi, who’s 4, wasn’t quite tall enough, and since I don’t have a little stool, she decided that sitting “criss-cross applesauce” on the counter would work perfect! She kept telling me, “Nana, I can’t believe you let me use a real knife!” Don’t worry, I had my eyes on her the entire time. B, who spends a lot of time in the kitchen, cooking with his Dad, is actually turning into quite the little foodie!
After cutting, chopping, and shredding, we were ready to assemble. I think B got focused on sports on the TV, so Gigi and I did the assembly. She was so proud of her own grill packet, especially the amount of cheese that she topped it with.
. . . . . . . . .
Hot off the grill and ready to open our Sausage & Potato Grill Packets!
The potatoes, onions, and bell peppers were perfectly tender, the sausages steamy hot, and just look at all the ooey gooey melted cheese!!
- 3 medium size russet potatoes (washed & peeled)
- 1½-2 bell peppers (I used red and yellow)
- 1 med yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 4-6 sausages
- 1 tsp BBQ seasoning
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 cup grated cheese (I used colby jack)
- Wash, peel, and thin slice the potatoes.
- Cut the bell peppers into strips.
- Thinly slice onion.
- Combine potatoes, bell pepper, onion, and garlic in large bowl. Toss with BBQ seasoning and olive oil.
- Cut sausages into thirds.
- Prepare foil packets by using 2 layers about 12" for bottom. Layer potatoes/veggies/sausages on top of foil. Top with grated cheese.
- Place another piece of 12" foil on top.
- Tightly crimp edges so they are secure.
- Cut a few slits in each pouch so steam vents.
- Place on med heat grill for 20-30 minutes.
This recipe was inspired by J at A Hot Southern Mess.