If you love roasted brussel sprouts, you will love this Brussel Sprout and Butternut Squash Salad. I went to dinner the other evening with a friend of mine and ordered a brussel sprout salad, and my oh my, it was delicious! The only disappointment was that I wanted more! I knew I needed to re-create it. I came close, not exact, but this one is dang tasty. I think I need to head back to the restaurant and try it again, you know, for research sake.
I began by halving and roasting some brussel sprouts and butternut squash, simply drizzled with a little olive oil and seasoned with salt & pepper.
I think it’s best to enjoy this Brussel Sprout and Butternut Squash Salad when the veggies are still slightly warm. Or room temperature. I will however enjoy the leftovers cold.
Brussel Sprout and Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 # brussel sprouts
- 3/4-1 # butternut squash
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1/4 cup creamy balsamic dressing I used Tuscan Italian from Trader Joes
- 1/2 can white beans I used Northern beans
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- arugula or other greens
- Rinse & remove outer leaves (and cut off stems) from brussel sprouts. Cut in half.
- Peel and chop butternut squash into even size chunks.
- Place sprouts and squash on large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Roast in 400* oven for 30-40 minutes (until tender), turning occasionally.
- Toast pine nuts in hot dry frying pan. They toast quickly (2-3 minutes). Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together honey and salad dressing.
- Rinse and drain white beans.
- Add roasted veggies and bean to salad dressing and gently toss to coat.
- Layer arugula on plate. Top with veggie mixture. Add some dried cranberries and toasted pine nuts.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.