Roasted Chickpeas with Broccoli may be my newest obsession! It’s warm, delicious, and comforting. The big squeeze of fresh lemon juice is the perfect compliment to the roasted veggies! It can easily be served as a side dish or a main course. I like to serve Roasted Chickpeas with Broccoli with some grilled chicken, but you can also enjoy it as a main course. Either way, make sure to make plenty, because the leftovers are delicious for a quick and easy lunch the next day.
You simply need to rinse the beans and veggies, slice the onion, and cut the broccoli into florets. Using a paper towel or clean kitchen towel, pat the chickpeas and veggies dry before adding the olive oil and seasonings. The wetter they are, the more they will steam and not roast.
About half way through baking I gave it all a good stir and topped with crumbled feta cheese. Continue roasting until onions are translucent, tomatoes begin to blister and pop, and broccoli is tender and begins to brown. If you prefer you can leave it in another 5-10 minutes for a “crispier” broccoli.
Once it’s done cooking, give it a BIG squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Serve with additional lemon wedges and red pepper flakes if desired.
Roasted Chickpeas with Broccoli
- 1-2 15 ounce cans chickpeas rinse, drain, and pat dry
- 2 bunches broccoli florets (about 4 cups) rinse and pat dry
- 1 medium yellow onion peel and cut into thick slices
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes rinse and pat dry
- 3-4 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP italian seasoning
- 8 ounce block feta cheese *crumble into big chunks
- 1 lemon 1/2 for juicing, 1/2 cut into wedges for serving
- crushed red pepper flakes *optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Pat dry with paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Rinse broccoli. Cut into florets. Pat dry.
- Rinse and pat dry cherry tomatoes.
- Peel and cut onion in half, then into thick slices.
- Place chickpeas, broccoli, tomatoes, and onion slices onto parchment lined sheet pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over veggies, toss lightly.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and italian seasoning.
- Place sheet pan into preheated 400* oven and roast for approximately 20 minutes.
- Stir veggies, and add crumbled feta on top. Continue baking for another 20 minutes or until veggies are roasted to your desired doneness.
- Using half the lemon, squeeze the juice over roasted veggies.
- Serve with lemon wedges and red pepper flakes (for a little kick).
You might also want to try: