I love soup! Especially
chowders, ahem, I mean cream based soups. I actually just looked it up, to see what “chowder” was. Originally chowder was a hearty fish stew containing potatoes and milk or cream. In my opinion, anything that is thick and rich and creamy, whether it contains seafood or not, is a chowder. So, if you prefer, you can call this Broccoli Cheddar Chowder or just Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Either way, this is a satisfying soup on a chilly evening.
I served my soup topped with some of my Homemade Toasty Croutons and a side of crusty french bread.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups 1/2 & 1/2 I used 2 cups 1/2 & 1/2 and 2 cups lowfat milk
- 6 cups chicken broth or use vegetable broth to make this recipe vegetarian
- 1 # broccoli 4-6 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
- Saute onion in olive oil/butter combination. When onions are tender, whisk in flour and cook over med. heat 3-5 minutes stirring constantly.
- While whisking, add 1/2 & 1/2 and chicken stock.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add broccoli and carrots. Cook over low heat until veggies are tender, approx. 45 minutes.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Carefully transfer soup mixture to blender and puree. Return soup to pot over low heat.
- Add in grated cheese. Stir until well blended.
- Add nutmeg.