Once you make homemade toasty croutons, you’ll never go back. They are so full of flavor and you’re in control of the crunch factor! Simply bake for a shorter period of time if you prefer a softer crouton, or add a few extra minutes to the baking time if you like them really crunchy.
Making croutons is a perfect use of leftover garlic bread, but since we never have left over garlic bread, I buy a loaf specifically for making croutons.
Homemade croutons are perfect on any salad, but my favorite is as a topping on my Caesar Salad. The combination of the creamy caesar dressing with the topping of homemade flavorful croutons is true salad perfection in my mind!
Homemade Toasty Croutons
- 1 loaf french bread
- 4 TBL butter or a little more if you're feeling generous
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Mrs Dash
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 c olive oil
- To prepare croutons, start by slicing your french bread in half (lengthwise).
- Butter both halves & sprinkle with about 1 tsp of the garlic powder.
- Cut french bread into cubes in place into large bowl.
- Combine in small bowl: remaining garlic pwd, paprika, Mrs Dash, salt & pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil over bread cubes and sprinkle with spice mixture. Mix well (I use my hands, but feel free to use a spoon).
- Place seasoned cubes on baking sheet.
- Cook croutons in 325• for approx 20-30 minutes. Turn croutons about every 10 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on desired crispness.
- Cool on sheet pan. They will continue to crisp up as they cool. I store mine in a ziplock bag.