I love soup! Especially
chowders, ahem, I mean cream based soups. I actually just looked it up, to see what “chowder” was. Originally chowder was a hearty fish stew containing potatoes and milk or cream. In my opinion, anything that is thick and rich and creamy, whether it contains seafood or not, is a chowder. So, if you prefer, you can call this Broccoli Cheddar Chowder or just Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Either way, this is a satisfying soup on a chilly evening.
I served my soup topped with some of my Homemade Toasty Croutons and a side of crusty french bread.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups ½ & ½ (I used 2 cups ½ & ½ and 2 cups lowfat milk)
- 6 cups chicken broth (or use vegetable broth to make this recipe vegetarian)
- 1 # broccoli (4-6 cups broccoli florets)
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 16oz sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- Saute onion in olive oil/butter combination. When onions are tender, whisk in flour and cook over med. heat 3-5 minutes stirring constantly.
- While whisking, add ½ & ½ and chicken stock.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add broccoli and carrots. Cook over low heat until veggies are tender, approx. 45 minutes.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Carefully transfer soup mixture to blender and puree. Return soup to pot over low heat.
- Add in grated cheese. Stir until well blended.
- Add nutmeg.