There’s nothing like a bowl of hot soup with a side of french bread to warm you up on a cold day. This is an all time favorite soup of mine. Typically “creamy” soups are loaded with cream and calories, and while this might not be low-fat, it’s made with chicken stock which definitely helps in the calorie department. And it’s delicious and satisfying!
This is the perfect soup to add toppings to. I personally love grated cheddar cheese, a few sliced green onions, and a dollap of sour cream. My husband would be dousing his with plenty of Tabasco. And, you can choose to keep it chunky, or do as I did, and use an immersion blender to blend it into a creamier consistency.
Creamy Baked Potato Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/2 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken stock homemade or canned
- 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp all purpose seasoning I used Mrs. Dash
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 6 large baked potatoes baked, peeled, & cubed
- 1 cup 1/2 & 1/2
- Saute onions in butter. Do not brown.
- Add flour and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine rest of ingredients except potatoes and 1/2 & 1/2. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Add potatoes and continue to simmer for 1 hour (or until potatoes are fall apart tender).
- At this point, I used my submersion blender to blend some of the potato chunks for a smoother soup. You may also use a potato masher or leave it chunky.
- Right before serving stir in 1/2 & 1/2.
- Suggested toppings: grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, chopped green onions, tabasco
This looks delicious! I just wanted to let you know that I have a food photo submission site (Simply Creative Recipes) and I am linking to this post if you don’t mind. You are welcome to submit your photos to my site if you’d like.
Alyssa, I apologize for the very delayed comment. You may certainly link to my site anytime as long as I get a link back (and I appreciate knowing in advance if possible). I’ll check out your site. Thank you!
Rosemary @anitalianinmykitchen says
For me there isn’t anything much better than soup, and especially a creamy soup. Looks and sounds amazing.
Brian Jones says
This sounds wonderful, so simple and am hooked on the fact that I get potato skins to play with after I have made you wonderful soup 😀