Onion dip that is made with real onions? Yes, please!! This onion dip is so delicious and I think you’ll agree it doesn’t compare to the onion dip that is made from two ingredients (a tub of sour cream and a package of dry onion soup mix). I grew up eating the latter, and once I tried this, I haven’t gone back. It’s a tough choice, whether to enjoy this dip with potato chips or with fresh veggies. I’ll let you decide how indulgent you’d like to be.
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 TBSP butter
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¾ - 1 tsp salt (depending on taste)
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temp)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Slice onions into thin strips (cut onion in half, then slice into strips).
- Heat the butter and olive oil in large saute pan over med heat.
- Add onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to med. low and continue to cook onions for approx 1 hour (stir multiple times).
- *you want to caramelize the onions which is a slow cooking process
- The onions will be reduced in size, golden brown, soft, buttery and delicious.
- Remove from heat and allow onions to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together softened cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise until smooth.
- Stir in the onions and mix well.
- Add more salt/pepper if needed.
You might also like:
Beet Hummus served with lots of fresh veggies!