I love corn anything! I think I could go on and on, like Forest Gump did about shrimp. I like corn bread, roasted corn, corn on the cob, grilled corn, corn in salad, corn cookies, corn salsa, corn chowder, and yes, cornmeal pancakes. I actually wish these were a bit “cornier” but they were still good. Next time I make them I will adjust the recipe and see if I can get them perfect. In the meantime, these are definitely worth giving a try.
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¾ cup corn meal (100% stone ground)
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour (white or wheat)
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Pour hot water over cornmeal and stir until well mixed.
- Using a whisk, whisk eggs into buttermilk.
- Add milk mixture to cornmeal. Stir until well combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to cornmeal mixture and mix well.
- Stir in oil.
- Bake on ungreased griddle.
- Flip pancake when first side is beginning to look "dry" and bubbles form.
- Serve with butter, syrup/honey.
Here’s a few more breakfast ideas you might enjoy 🙂