Baked Spaghetti Squash is a simple, delicious, low carb, low calorie alternative to pasta. It makes a delicious side dish, but can also be topped with veggie or meat sauces for a fulfilling main course. Although a whole spaghetti squash can be tough to cut, it’s actually simpler than you might expect. I cut mine into 1″-1 1/2″ rounds before baking (which is so much easier than cutting a whole spaghetti squash in half lengthwise) and ended up with long strands that resembled spaghetti pasta.
A simple drizzle of olive oil, a little salt and fresh cracked pepper and they’re ready for the oven. In about a half hour (or until fork tender) you have delicious Baked Spaghetti Squash.
After baking, I simply used a fork and “stranded” the squash. Voila, perfect spaghetti like strands of healthy Baked Spaghetti Squash. Did you know that a cup of spaghetti is approximately 200 calories and a cup of spaghetti squash is only about 35 calories?
**Disclaimer, if you’re following any of my recipes that I note as Whole 30 compliant, please check your ingredient labels first as they can vary.
- 1 large Spaghetti Squash (rinsed and cut into 1-1½" rounds)
- 2-3 TBS olive oil (just enough to lightly drizzle over squash rounds)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper (or to taste)
- Very carefully, cut spaghetti squash into 1" - 1½" rounds.
- Clean pulp and seeds from center of squash rounds.
- Place onto rimmed baking sheet (foil line or use parchment for easy clean up)
- Drizzle each round with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Bake at 375* for approx. 30 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Using a fork, carefully "strand" the squash so that it resembles spaghetti noodles.
- Serve as is (parmesan cheese optional), or with a favorite veggie or meat sauce.
If you’re following a W30 diet, you might want to top your Baked Spaghetti Squash with these delicious Whole 30 Approved Meatballs.
You might also enjoy W30 Approved Beef & Broccoli
W30 approved Stuffed Bell Peppers
Balsamic Dijon Salad Dressing (also W30 approved)