I recently served this Thai Noodle Salad at a baby shower I hosted and it was a huge hit! The tender pasta was dressed with a flavorful, but not heavy dressing, and the veggies and cashews added a freshness and texture.
I was a bit leary to serve a “pasta” salad, but since we were already serving a spinach salad, assorted fresh veggies and dip, fruit, a caesar salad w/salmon, along with a few different types of finger sandwiches, I needed something a bit different. It turned out to be a great choice! I guess ladies still eat carbs.
I got this recipe from a friend many years ago and as delicious as it is, I’ve only made it a few times. I think, with the low carb craze, I haven’t served many pasta salads in the last few years. I’m so glad I decided to dig out this recipe and remake this Thai Noodle Salad.
The original recipe that I received, makes a HUGE amount. We’re talking 3#’s of pasta and a lot of dressing. I’m going to half the recipe for you, which will still make a large portion of salad.
I like to make the dressing prior to cooking the pasta. I find that way, that as soon as the pasta is finished and cool, the dressing is ready to mix in. There’s nothing worse than pasta that sticks together into one big clump because you weren’t ready with your sauce. So, make your dressing (use either a food processor or a blender) and stick it in the fridge until you need it. While the pasta is cooking, you can chop the extras that you’ll be adding into the salad. Then, everything is ready when the pasta is done 🙂
Thai Noodle Salad
- 1/2 bunch cilantro rough chopped, approx 1 cup
- 1/2 bunch green onions rough chopped, approx 4-6 onions
- 1 TBSP fresh chopped ginger
- 1 large clove fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
- 3/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1 cup oil I used Canola
- 2 TBSP chili garlic sauce
- For Salad:
- 1 1/2 boxes spaghettini thin spaghetti
- 1 cup cashews rough chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- **Additional garnish: chopped cilantro and chopped cashews
- For dressing:
- Place all ingredients into bowl of food processor or into blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- To make salad:
- Make dressing (see above).
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Strain and slightly rinse (I never rinse too much because I think the starch of the pasta water helps the dressing to adhere to the pasta).
- While pasta is cooking, grate carrot, chop celery, slice bell pepper, chop cilantro, and rough chop cashews.
- When pasta is finished cooking an slightly cool, add dressing (you might have a little extra).
- Stir to mix.
- Gently mix in veggies and chopped nuts.
- Before serving, garnish with additional chopped cilantro and chopped cashews.
More delicious salads….