Potato Chips baked in a cookie sounds like such an odd combination. They’re a slightly salty, slightly crunchy, buttery, melt in your mouth cookie. After baking they’re dusted with powdered sugar, which makes them even more delicious! Who knew that a Potato Chip Cookie could be this delicious!!
I’d love to say that I came up with this crazy combination, but that’s not the case. My aunt was given this recipe from a little Tea House Restaurant that she loved to visit. She loved treating herself to a light lunch at the Country Court Tea Room, then top it off with a Potato Chip Cookie. I remember going there with her and also taking my middle daughter and a group of her girlfriends there after their 6th grade graduation. Those are both such sweet memories!
With only four other ingredients, the potato chips are a surprise mystery ingredient. The chips are coarsely crushed before being added to the cookie dough, and if you didn’t tell anyone, they’d be surprised to find out that these sweet little cookies contained potato chips.
As with many special treats, these are not low fat. In fact, I usually only make them at the holidays, because I eat way too many and it’s the only time of year when calories don’t count!!
- 1 lb. real butter (room temp, softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 3½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups potato chips (course crushed)
- Powdered sugar (for sprinkling on baked cookies)
- Preheat oven to 325*
- To crush potato chips, I place them in a zip lock baggie and crush using a rolling pin (or the palm of my hand).
- Add all ingredients (except powdered sugar) to large mixing bowl and mix together with your hands.
- Once combined, form cookies into 1" balls.
- Make a slight finger dent in each cookie.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet (I lined mine with a silpat) for 15-20 min. Edges will be just slightly golden brown.
- Cool slightly, then transfer to wire cooling rack.
- When completely cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Please remember to share your favorite recipes on Facebook, and don’t forget to head over every week to Southern Plate and tell them “hi!” I’ve linked-up my Potato Chip Cookies to their Meal Plan Monday, check it out!
More amazing desserts . . . .